Thursday, June 19, 2014

Amusing Stories for Tough Times

What with tornadoes, and severe thunderstorms for the past 5 weekends in Nebraska, I thought I'd tell some true, amusing stories.

As a small child I talked incessantly. Nothing my parents said or did made a difference! Finally Dad said, "you learn more when you are quiet than when you are talking." His method worked!

When I was young, the family went to the opening of Omaha Crossroads Mall. Two ladies were giving samples of what looked like lemonade. The tiny sample tasted very sweet, but not like lemonade, being thirsty I left my parents’ side and got back in line. When it was again my turn the ladies recognized me and asked those around if I was their daughter, but everyone said, "no." Then an announcement was made that I was lost and Mom and Dad came over to see what trouble I was in. Turns out the “lemonade” was oral polio vaccine!

My parents wanted me to accompany them to Crossroads Mall instead of letting me stay home with my full-length leg cast and crutches. Being tired, I sat down and mumbled loudly about walking with crutches and a heavy plaster cast. After a few minutes I noticed a group of people staring at me! After an awkward silence an elderly gentleman gave me a fifty-cent piece and the group walked away! What must they have thought!

In third grade my school had an Easter Queen contest. Judging was based on the originality of the Easter hats the girls would create, and they could have their mother's help. Mom and I took a small lampshade, added two long strips of heavy, pointed cardboard, and covered the whole creation with cotton balls! The result was a rabbit head!

 At the contest all the other girls wore straw hats with plastic flowers glued on, but I wore my rabbit’s head hat. Walking on stage to the tune of "Easter Parade" each girl was greeted with applause, but I was greeted with giggles. However, the judges awarded me the title of "Easter Parade Queen" for having the most original hat!

No comments: